Sunday, February 3, 2013

Inspired

Manatee


















I am always seeking sources of inspiration . I am a regular at ABS and Pinterest.I visit blogs and roam ETSY .I "take time to smell the roses" and appreciate nature's seasonal displays. From these sources I borrow color combos,shapes and themes. However,there are times when my muse comes up with ideas that are not from sources of direct inspiration.Instead my muse decides to create just from absorbing a feeling.
I missed posting  my blog entry last week. I was busy with chores left undone while I took a short vacation.
 My family fulfilled a life long dream .We met wild manatees !
We took a fabulous private tour on the Crystal River in Florida.Manatees winter there seeking the warmth of the natural springs and the less than natural power plant.You can not scuba dive with them .But if you follow the rules, you are allowed to swim and snorkle with them.
 I have read so much about the plight of the manatees. I was aware of their docile,gentle natures. I knew they were curious and often approached humans . I was told they sometimes even come up close and roll over to have their bellies scratched. I couldn't even imagine this ! They can weight between 1,500-1,800 lbs.
My hope for the trip was just to see a manatee ..hopefully while I was in the water with it.
I had decided that if  I saw  just one manatee in person  , I would consider my journey a success .
The day of our excursion dawned cloudy and very chilly.
Being bundled in my winter jacket didn't make me eager for a swim. But,as the boat slowly skimmed the water,manatees rose to breath.They swam closer to have a look at us. They rolled and frolicked  all around us. WOW Amazing!!! 
Then we donned our wetsuits and quietly  slipped into the water.
The idea was to silently float ,hoping to observe not disturb them .

OMG !!!I felt like I had just entered a dog park with a tennis ball !!!
 They really did come up to investigate us. They really did roll,rub and invite us the scratch their backs and sides !!! A young one even took it's flipper and pushed my daughter's hand down to scratch it's itch!
AWESOME ! Truly AWESOME !!!
Words can not express the wonder of this time spent with the manatees.
Returning from our trip, my hubby asked me if  I was going to make some manatee beads. No...instead I made my usual flowers. But, I used a blend that gave a sea glass like finish . I worked in the colors of the sea and river. I did not any employ any direct creative inspiration.
But, I was  certainly  inspired !
I was filled with the serene beauty of  Homosassa Florida  in January. Every view seemed gentled by the Spanish moss that hung everywhere.
 The trusting , friendly manatees had touched my soul. 
This week my beads were created not from what I saw 
But, because of the way I felt 
This week
instead of seeing your  inspiration
be inspired by a feeling
and 
Bead Happy
m.e.

2 comments:

  1. wow what an experience that must have been! and I love the colors you've got in these beads - soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! I have been to the Crystal River in FL. My parents had a house in nearby Brooksville. They are beautiful creatures, so gentle and friendly. I have a dream of one day swimming with dolphins. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete