Sunday, March 10, 2013

ABS March Challenge

The Writing on the Wall























Time for the ABS March Challenge
http://artbeadscene.blogspot.com/2013/03/march-monthly-challenge.html
Don't you love those rare moments when things seem to magically fall into place !
This doesn't happen to me very often. Usually if I'm in a pastel mood,
I have an order for primary brights. Or if  I'm  playing with  strong graphic shapes the ABS challenge is all about delicate and misty design elements ! But ,this month everything came together nicely in a rather convoluted way.
Lately I have been obsessed with translucent sea glass finishes . In an ah ha moment I realized a black "sea glass " blend would nicely mimic a chalkboard. A light brush of  white paint worked nicely for my chalk.
I was about to start a series of beads in this design ,when the March ABS challenge painting was posted. What to my wondering eyes did appear....a little corner of the painting that reminded me of a chalk board !
see....









I thought about making a purely black and white piece .
But, I LOVE color ! There is so much glorious color in the painting .
I couldn't resist it. I made 5 "chalkboard " charms .One in traditional slate black and 4 in Color ! I drew a few fun graphic shapes on my charms .Then I strung them all together with chalk colored suede cord . A plus to this was that my silver spacer beads fit so tightly, they stayed in place all by themselves. I just squished (a technical jewelry term) the loops of my charms to hold them where I wanted them.
I'm tempted to keep this playful ,casual piece for myself.
But, I may give it to a special friend who is a teacher. I think the subtle nod to  her occupation will make it a perfect gift !
This week ...
I hope your feelings follow function.
May all you design ideas fall nicely into place
and may you
Bead Happy !
m.e.

2 comments:

  1. Very original interpretation, Mary Ellen, and I love the title. Isn't serendipity grand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun and inspired design. I know your teacher friend would cherish it!

    ReplyDelete